We Honor Veterans
Serving Those Who Served Us
One in four people dying in America is a veteran. The experience of military service may significantly impact and shape a veteran’s perception of serious illness and the end of life. Hospice of the Valley’s goal is to meet the unique needs of veterans and link them to all the services and resources to which they are entitled. America’s veterans have done everything asked of them in their mission to serve our country, and it is our mission to serve them with the dignity they deserve.
Hospice of the Valley meets the unique needs of veterans by:
- Practicing respectful inquiry and compassionate listening to evaluate the impact of their military experience on their life
- Determining if there are benefits to which the veteran and surviving dependents may be entitled
- Developing a unique care plan guided by the patient and family’s wishes
- Providing expert in-home care, support and training to maintain the patient’s independence and dignity
- Counseling for physical or psychological trauma, as needed
- Thanking and recognizing veterans for their service
Veteran to Veteran Program
Hospice of the Valley, through its Veteran to Veteran Program, provides trained veteran volunteers to accompany and guide the community’s veterans and their families as they reflect on their life stories and move toward a more peaceful end-of-life experience. Veteran volunteers have a unique ability to relate to and connect with veteran patients and their families due to their common life experiences.
Veteran to Veteran volunteers assist patients by:
- Providing companionship and camaraderie to fellow veterans
- Listening to memories and helping veterans find peace with their past
- Recognizing and thanking veterans for their service to our country
- Reading, talking, and/or sitting with patients
If you are interested in becoming a Veteran to Veteran volunteer, please contact Director of Volunteer Services Victoria Wild via email or phone at 1.408.559.5600.
We Honor Veterans
Hospice of the Valley’s commitment to ensuring veterans in Silicon Valley have access to quality end-of-life care was validated recently when the organization achieved Level 3 status with the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization’s (NHPCO) We Honor Veterans Program.
The We Honor Veterans program encourages cooperation and collaboration among organizations serving veterans to improve their end-of-life experience. Hospice of the Valley is partnering with the Veterans Administration (VA) and other community agencies such as the Campbell Veterans Memorial Foundation to learn how to best support veterans with the challenges they may be facing from illness, isolation or traumatic life experiences.
If you’re a veteran interested in volunteering or know of a veteran needing end-of-life support, call Hospice of the Valley at 1.408.559.5600.
We Honor Veterans at Sutter Care at Home