Volunteer Your Time
We believe that every person has something special to contribute to support the many patients and families served by Hospice of the Valley. Make a meal, deliver equipment and supplies, enter patient information data into our computer, educate the community about our expert care and support, or listen to memories, give a hug and touch a heart. These are just a few of the many ways our volunteers give of their time and talents. The time you give to share your talents with Hospice of the Valley will make a difference in someone’s life, and yours.
The hallmark of Hospice of the Valley is its distinct volunteer programs for which the organization has become recognized and known including:
- Complementary Services - Volunteers offer a variety of services including massage and aromatherapy to nurture physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being
- Calm Companions - A vigiling program which provides support to individuals who are imminently dying and their families
- Vet-to-Vet Program – Connects volunteers and patients who have served in the military to provide camaraderie and companionship through shared experiences
- Pet Companions – Specially-trained therapy dogs offer companionship and comfort to patients and families
- Teen Program – Matches teens with hospice patients to provide friendship, practical help, and companionship and allow for growth and discovery for both.
Other ways you can contribute your time and talents to Hospice of the Valley include:
- Direct patient care – activities include offering support to families by providing a break to caregivers, running errands and doing light housekeeping
- Clerical support – assisting with clerical tasks to support the office operations
- Special skills – utilizing professional skills, such as massage; art, pet and other therapies; language skills; and hairdressing
- Bereavement programs – assisting people during their grief process through our Community Grief and Counseling Center
- Community outreach - representing Hospice of the Valley in the community at health fairs and events
- Fundraising support – assisting with fundraising efforts at annual events or in the Development office
Our volunteers are an important part of the team at Hospice of the Valley. For more information about volunteering, contact our Volunteer Program Coordinator Victoria Wild via email or phone at 1.408.559.5600.
Longtime Hospice of the Valley volunteer Roberta Williams was selected as one of the 2013 Crystal Bowl winners, awarded by the Junior League of San Jose in recognition of outstanding volunteerism in our community. Watch her video here:
Orientation and Training
Ensuring our volunteers are comprehensively trained to complete their duties is a priority for Hospice of the Valley. Whether in a direct patient care capacity or a support function, we offer thorough training and orientation for each role and responsibility.
Anyone interested in volunteering to work directly with our patients and their loved ones is required to attend our comprehensive Training Program (25 hours) offered twice annually (in the spring and in the fall). For all other volunteer opportunities, a one-day orientation is provided. These take place four times a year. Upon completion of the training and acceptance into the program, volunteers are required to attend Support Meetings and on-going training sessions. Hospice of the Valley requests a time commitment of one year, three to five hours per week.
For more information about volunteering, contact Volunteer Program Coordinator Victoria Wild via email or phone at 1.408.559.5600.